Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010

This is going to be the most awesome year ever!

I will indeed graduate from Lamar University. I will not be giving any of my money to them for a while. I have accepted a position with Valero Energy Corporation in the St. Charles Parish of Louisiana. We will be living within 20 minutes of New Orleans. I have thought alot about what I want my career to be. I knew I wanted to be an engineer. Electrical, no doubt. But what part of the engineering world do I want to participate in, business or technical? Then I got married to a girl who has her dream job and does it quite well. So much so that as her employer I'm willing to give her a raise.

Jasmine is a mother. That is all she ever wanted to be. This teaching stuff is for if the true source of income doesn't provide like he promised (although, he does). Jasmine's job has no earthly glory nor is it entirely glamorous. Ben certainly makes it easier with his cute dimple, cleft chin, curly hair, and killer smile, but Jas makes even the hard stuff look easy.

What else is there to do in this life than to have kids, raise them, and wish that you get to see them have this experience too? The way I interact with my kids will fuel them for failure or success. They're going to do something...it might as well be positive, so my Resolution for 2010 is single-fold:

I will do what I must do to keep myself physically and spiritually healthy in order to discern what it is that I must teach my kids so that they will succeed physically and spiritually.

I could take that statement and break it down into sub-goals and ideas, but it means a change in behavior and thinking. Shedding the last bit of selfishness, that keeps me from thriving. Letting go of social inhibitions and keeping my career in tune with the needs of my family. That's my career goal. Whether management or technical it doesn't matter so long as I can come home at the end of the day and be there...be a Father.

I have the most supportive wife and I love her more. I have great friends, who I laugh and work with. I can't wait to teach Ben all that I know about this life. I feel immensely blessed for those who have sacrificed to help me reach some success and I eagerly await new encounters that my shape my future.

Happy New Years.


1 comment:

Emelie Leifi said...

David, Ben is too flippin cute!! I can't believe you're a Daddy...awesome!